Getting Started with Avira Lingo
Firstly, thank you for your interest in volunteering with Avira Lingo to improve and increase the languages that Avira supports. Avira Lingo is based on the free translation tool Pootle, and this getting started guide explains everything you need to know to use it.
The guide covers the following topics:
- How-to instructions
- A visual guide Avira Lingo (coming soon!)
Before you can log in and use Avira Lingo, you need to register:
- On the menu bar, click Register.
The registration form is displayed.
- Complete the registration form and click Register.
A confirmation email with the title "Avira Lingo Registration" is sent to your email address.
- Open the email and click the activation link.
A confirmation message is displayed that tells you whether the registration was successful or not.
After registering, you can then log in to Avira Lingo.
After you have registered, you can log in:
- On the menu bar, click Log In.
The login form is displayed.
- Enter your username and password.
Note: Do not change the interface language.
- Click Log In.
After you have logged in, you can customize the Avira Lingo settings (recommended) or you can begin to translate.
To make Avira Lingo easier to use, you are recommended to increase the default number rows of you can see in the translation editor. (Each row contains a string that needs to be translated.) The default number of rows is 9 but 20 is probably better.
To change the number of rows, you must be logged in to Avira Lingo.
- On the menu bar, click your name.
The profile tabs are displayed.
- Click the Settingstab.
- In the Number of Rows field, enter 20 and click Save.
Note: Do not change the Interface Language and Alternative Source Language settings.
Translating with Avira Lingo is easy. The following instructions explain the two-step process: translating strings and reviewing your translations. In addition to reading the instructions below, you may want to look at the section "A visual guide to Avira Lingo" to discover all of the functions you can use.
- On the home page, select the language that you want to translate.
The list of current projects in the selected language is displayed.
- Select the project that you want to translate.
- Click Continue translation.
The translation editor page is displayed.
- Translate a string:
- Select a string from the list.
- In the translation field, enter a translation.
Note: When translating a string, do not translate the placeholders. Placeholders are odd-looking groups of letters and symbols such as %s and $(ProductName).
- Confirm the translation by clicking one of the confirmation options.
- Submit: Click if you are happy with the translation.
- Suggest: Click if the string has been translated by someone else already but you want to provide an alternative translation.
- Needs work: Select and click Submit if you are unhappy with the translation.
- Repeat step four to continue translating the strings in the project.
Tip: The total number of strings in the project is displayed in bottom-right corner.
Reviewing Your Translations
When you have finished translating the strings, it is good practice to review your translations.
- On the toolbar at the bottom of the translation editor, click Export View.
- Review your translations.
- Optional: If you want to change a translation, click on the string ID.
To exit Avira Lingo, simply close the browser.Note: You can exit Avira Lingo at any time - every time you click